WE LOVE OUR EARTH
The UOW UniBar is leading the way in environmental initiatives and has reduced it waste to to landfill by 84% (from 1200L to 1920 L per week). Some of the incredible initiatives that have been put in place include:
- Replacing plastic packaging with certifiable alternatives made from renewable resources.
- Replacing single use cups with reusable polycarbonate cups and removing removing plastic straws has eliminated the use of approximately 50,000 cups and 10,000 straws per year.
- Installation of a Pulpmaster waste to energy system to pulp food waste and compostable food packaging. This system is diverting approximately 2700kg of organic waste from landfill each week.
- Provision of general waste, recycling and organic waste bins. Staff sort through bins to remove contamination before disposal.
- The introduction of a soft plastic bin and recycling process.
- Introduction of a vegan option menu to reduce carbon footprint. (UOW was named Australia's most Vegan Friendly by PETA).