Our Commitment to Privacy
Welcome to the University of Wollongong (UOW). In the course of your contact with UOW we may collect some information about you. To enable you to progress your dealings with UOW it may be necessary for us to pass this information to our related controlled entities and service providers.
For the purposes of this policy UOW means and includes all its associated and controlled entities of the University of Wollongong.
The University is committed to ensure that your privacy is protected. UOW and its controlled entities take all reasonable steps so that the collection, use, disclosure and handling of your information by UOW complies with the law.
A full explanation of the National Privacy Principles to which the University adheres can be found at http://www.privacy.gov.au
This section explains our policy regarding any personal information you might supply to us when you visit our websites. Our goal is to protect your information on the Internet in the same way that we protect it in all the other ways we interact with you.
- You can visit this site and find out about UOW. During your visit to the site, UOW does not collect any personally identifiable information about you that you do not specifically volunteer.
- We do however automatically collect certain non-personally-identifiable information, such as your browser type and the IP address that your ISP designates to your machine (which, with dial-up accounts, usually changes every time you connect). This is standard practice for websites, and is not used for any purpose other than to evaluate how we can design the site to best serve your needs. This information is not passed on to any third party.
- In order to provide better service or to address security hazards we will occasionally use a "cookie. (A cookie is a small piece of information, which a Web site stores on your Web browser on your PC and can later retrieve. The cookie cannot be read by a Web site other than the one that set the cookie.)
For Our Commitment to Privacy, the University will:
- Collect all personal information by lawful and fair means
- Only collect that information which is necessary and not collect it in an intrusive way
- Where possible, collect personal information from the actual individual in question
- Where possible, obtain express permission from an individual when collecting personal information relating to that individual from another party
- Inform the individual of the primary purpose for collecting the information
- Inform the individual of the details of any organisations that the University may pass an individual's information on to; and for what purpose
- Ensure the individual is aware of the consequences (if any) of failing to provide any information that is requested
- Only use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose it was collected for; or ensure that permission is sought for its use or disclosure for any purpose other than the primary one
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the information collected, used or disclosed is accurate and up to date
- Provide adequate safe guards to protect any personal information in UOW's care from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure
- Keep personal information only for the period for which it is relevant and necessary
- Destroy or de-identify any personal information once it is no longer required
- Only disclose personal information about an individual, where:
- The individual has given prior consent
- The University is required by law or legislation
- Where there is a serious or imminent threat to life or the health of an individual
- Provide a means to which an individual may access the details of information held by the University and provide a process by which incorrect information may be corrected.
- Provide a means for an individual to complain to the University if it believes there has been a breach of the individual's privacy.
Consents & Disclosures
If you are staff collecting personal information the following consents and disclosures may be of assistance to you.
- General Consent and Disclosure [pdf - 40 kb] to be used if this is the first time UOW collects personal information from an individual.
- Competition Consent and Disclosure [pdf - 22 kb] for use when running a competition where a) contact details used only for purposes of contacting the winner(s) or b) contact details used for contacting winner AND follow up marketing.
- Marketing Consent and Disclosure or Other Subsequent Collections. In order to provide a specific consent and disclosure appropriate to your marketing campaign, or collection needs please contact Legal Services.
For additional or further information or other queries, questions or complaints [pdf - 51kb] in the first instance please contact:
The Privacy Officer
Administration Building (36)
Legal Services Unit
University of Wollongong
Wollongong NSW 2522
Phone 61+2+4221 4368